Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Road Back Home



“Alms, alms, alms…. Spare me a piece of bread. Spare me your mercy. I am a child so young, so thin, and so ragged. Do you know my mother? Do you know my father?”
Perhaps we still remember these famous lines of a declamation piece titled ‘Vengeance is not ours its God’s. To this piece of thought, the images that flashed in my mind are those street children that all day and night making a living through alms, those children who are homeless and in dire need. In their early age they should be in school, learning, playing and enjoying their childhood. They should not be in the street asking for something in order to have a little to fill on their empty stomach. They should not be begging and experiencing the burdens of life. They must be enjoying life. How I wish that I have special gift like Santino ( of the character in a soap opera “ May Bukas Pa”) who could talk to Jesus to let these children be spared on these awful conditions of their life. Though even I don’t have, I’m always praying for them.
But it is really unimaginable that sometimes these children have to experience these distressing situations in life but in a true sense, these things are really happening. Even the road will always be rough and crooked, hope will still our means to get into the road back home.
Kuya Center had a vision to restore the home which was robed by misfortune for these little ones so that they may live a dignified and humane life; to shelter them in an atmosphere of a “home” in order to go back to their real home. My connection to Kuya Center and with Br. Rey, sss as the director, made me contribute this short article. This is to express my support and to tell you especially to all the supporters and benefactors of this institution that all your supports are of worth in helping these children. A million thanks! At present Kuya Center is under construction for a bigger space to shelter bigger number of street children and to let them be guided to the road way back home.
Allen Iñigo, sss

No comments:

Post a Comment